Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Where have you been?

I have not received much response from my last "Random Thoughts About Spirituality (Part 2)." Frankly, this concerns me. There could be several reasons for this: (1) you don't care (2) you are lazy (3) I'm wrong in what I wrote and you have excommunicated me from your church (4) you are "to busy" to get involved with someone's blog. Hey folks, no one said reading my blog was going to be easy. I need feedback...I crave it.

I went to a funeral last night for a guy I didn't know. I'm not big on the whole funeral thing...especially with an open casket. I have never understood this. Why do people want to look at a dead body? There really seems to be disturbing attraction with this among most people. Anyways, I have decided on a few things I would like you to keep in mind when I die:

1. Make sure no one wears black. I want bright colors.
2. Close the casket. I don't want people examining me, trying to figure out why I never had certain moles removed.
3. Celebrate (not because I'm dead).
4. Have the reception (not viewing) the same day as the funeral and in the evening. I don't want people to have to take a lunch break to come to the funeral during the middle of the day.
5. Do not...I repeat, do not, have finger foods. It is perfectly acceptable to have pizza, burgers, ribs, BBQ and Creme de mint! I want you to have a party, but make sure the topic of conversation revolves around how I impacted your life.

What do you want at your funeral?

Update
: Congrats to KB (one of our regular bloggers) on becoming a dad! My flowers are coming up well, but no blooms and lots of weeds. Do you have any suggestions for weeding without breaking a sweat?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jon, it's your cousin Ames. I went to a funeral for a guy I didn't know once...the guy Performing (?) the funeral got the dead persons name wrong. And was celebrating that the guy was in Heaven, although it was obvious ( i didnt "know him" i'd met him before) that this guy was as far from being a christian as he could be.

Also, Mom drug me to a viewing once for one of my teachers mother. I was about 10...looking at a dead person..i thought she was still breathing haha.

I'm with you- no open caskets. thats just not cool. You should also serve steak- then maybe even more people will come!

Jason Mitchell said...

I did a funeral a couple of weeks ago for somone I didn't know either. I was leterally sweating becasue the first words out of my mouth were "Sharon" then I froze thinking, "Is her name Shannon?" I hated every moment of it. I was like, I have no clue for sure that she is with God. Then I thought, I guess in the grand scheme of things, what is done is done. It isn't like this funeral will help or hurt things, so if I get it wrong, does it matter?

Late

Anonymous said...

I like cussing

Jon Mitchell said...

The previous comment makes absolutely no sense...please explain why you like to cuss.