Friday, May 06, 2005

TIME Tells The Tale

Last night I was absorbed in an article entitled Faith and Frat Boys by TIME. Usually when I read TIME, I get angry, stomp my foot, and frown because of their liberal bias and malice towards Christians. This time, however, was different. The article related to how difficult it is to live out one's Christian faith on a secular college campus. There is one particular story at the end that caught my attention. It was of Peter Howell, who has asked each of his 70 frat brothers to join him in a Bible study. He didn't ask once. He asked them every week for 2 years. Here is the rest of the story:

Just two of the 70 brothers accepted the offer, but that doesn't mean the rest haven't been affected by Howell. "In the biggest meathead frat [at Indiana University], he's himself. He's 100%. And no matter what day I say no, he'll always come back," says junior Trevor Loe, who declined to attend that week's session. "One day, when I'm ready, I'll remember Peter."

Trever Loe will never know how much his statement has impacted me, but it is clear that we have to be persistent in our pursuit of Jesus. People watch, and as Peter Howell has exemplified, they know when we are authentic. Who will remember me when they are ready?

No comments: