Thursday, May 19, 2005

Podcasting

Do you have an MP3 player? I hope so, because I am about to introduce you to something that will change your life. Due to the fact that 2 months ago most of you were in the dark as to what a blog is, I will now introduce you to an even greater piece of technology. It is called Podcasting. The following definition is from Wikpedia:

Podcasting is a way of publishing sound files to the Internet, allowing users to subscribe to a feed and receive new audio files automatically. Podcasting is distinct from other types of audio content delivery because it uses the RSS 2.0 protocol. This technique has enabled many producers to create self-published, syndicated radio shows.

Users subscribe to podcasts using "podcatching" software (also called "aggregator" software) which periodically checks for and downloads new content. It can then sync the content to the user's portable music player, hence the portmanteau of Apple's "iPod" and "broadcasting". Podcasting does not require an iPod, however; any digital audio player or computer with the appropriate software can play podcasts.

Now I am going to give you a link to iPodder, the service I use free of charge for receiving the 5 or so Podcasts I am subscribed to. This technology could be the future of your cable, radio, news, etc. Let me know what you think.

Update: I went to two different car service centers who both told me that I was overcharged for the service Sears provided me. Not only that, but the job that took Sears mechanics 13 hours should have only taken 1 hour. Both service centers felt that Sears was responsible for breaking wires to the alternator, so I am writing my brief to Sears Auto Center now. Brian, can you help?

1 comment:

Brian Bojo said...

yeah, podcasting is pretty cool. it's neat to be able to download a talk radio show to my iPod and listen to it whenever i want. my favorite podcasts include anything from reformedsermons.org and dave ramsey (the larry burkett of our generation). i'll check out that site you mentioned.