Tuesday, May 17, 2005

2 for 2

Many of you know the story of our trip back from Harrisburg (read the story). Apparently Karen and I don't travel well. And now, the rest of the story...

We were on our way back from St. Simons where we had a somewhat relaxing 3 days. Here is the schedule of what happened on our way back:

Saturday 4 p.m.Battery warning light comes on as we approach Douglasville, GA. I regret my decision earlier in the week to help jump start a stranded motorist.

4:15 – Wal Mart checks the battery and says it is probably the alternator, which they can’t fix. I feel like a jerk for wishing I had not helped the stranded motorist.

4:30 – Arrive at Sears Auto Center (Arbor Place Mall). The service dude, whom we will call D, says he will call me with an estimate in 1 hour.

6:00 – D finally calls and estimates that they need to replace the alternator. He says they will finish call when it is done.

8:45 – I arrive back because I haven’t received a phone call and they close at 9. D says he called. I show him my call list, he says he must have misdialed. They are closing, and tell us our alternator plug has been stripped. I ask him what time he new this wasn’t going to get fixed. He says 8. He offers a ride home…I remind him (again) that I live in Birmingham. He offers a ride to Hampton Inn…I cannot believe what is transpiring. They promise to get the part and fix it in the morning…they don’t open until 10!

Sunday 11 a.m. – I arrive at Sears Auto Center. D says there’s a problem. Nobody is open to get them the part. After reminding them again that I live in B'ham, I tell him to give me the phone book.

1 p.m. – I give up calling dealerships, salvage yards, and auto part stores and decide the best thing to do is get a rent-a-car and go home. D promises me it will be fixed by 1 the next day.

Monday 10:00 a.m. – I call to make sure everything is still cool, D says yes. I let him know I am on my way.

1:11 p.m. – I arrive in Douglasville. They tell me it won’t be ready until 6. I forcibly let them know how they are jerking me around and that he needs to get out there and tell them to hurry it up. Once again, they are reminded I live in B'ham.

6:00 – Where’s my car? Still getting worked on. They say another 45 min.

7:00 – I get my car and go home with $360 taken out of my checking account.

4 comments:

Richard Mitchell said...

Jack Asses

Brian Bojo said...

dude, that's one character building experience

Jon Mitchell said...

I didn't feel like building character.

Jason Mitchell said...

Unfreakinbelievable.