Thursday, April 28, 2005

Random Thoughts About Spirituality (Part 2)

Part 1 of this series seemed to generate some pretty deep thoughts, which is why I haven't posted Part 2 until now. I will make the same disclaimer I made last time: Please understand I am NOT against the church in any way. How could I be against the bride of Christ? That would be foolish. The following are thoughts I am processing and dealing with, and I want to make them available for criticism, reflection, questions, or any other responses. And now...the rest of the story:

Here is a thought that, unless you know my heart, you may not agree with. Why do we limit God to the Bible? Why have we taken a leather-bound book and said from Genesis to Revelation, that is all God has to say? You may be saying “But Jon, don’t you realize you are speaking heresy. You are belittling the Word of God!!” No I’m not. You place chains on God when all you do is read the Bible and never take time to listen. God wants to speak!! Jesus said “Many more things I have to say to you!” I heard a great analogy recently. I can go out to eat with my wife, and I can take all the love notes she has ever written me and read them on our date. Why would I do that when I have the absolute privilege of talking with her, as she is sitting right across from me? In fact, after awhile she would probably become annoyed and leave. Please don’t interpret what I am not saying. I am not saying to quit reading the Bible, and I am not saying that God is annoyed with you and will leave you. Do you believe God has more to say?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jon,
Couldn't agree more....that is a good analogy. Let me ask a question: If someone were to say that they had a "God" experience, where God met with them or spoke to them, etc., what factors would go into the validity of that person's statement? In other words, what are some things you would look for to determine whether you believe their experience?

Jon Mitchell said...

That is a great question, and one I have thought about many times. I think there are several areas you must factor in:

1. The person's heart. Obviously you must either have a history with the person or a strong gift of discernment for this factor to come in play.
2. If someone has prophesied, does it come about?
3. The Bible. Does it line up scripturally? I recently listened to an experience God brought a man through that was quite radical. I don’t want to get into the experience because to many people would judge it before they took time to listen. However, every part of his experience aligned itself with scripture beautifully, and I learned so much about God’s word through his experience.
4. Pray about it.
5. Talk to other people you know who are walking closely with God about it and get their input.

If you have anything to add, please let me know.