Wednesday, April 06, 2005

April Showers...

Well, the planting is done. Now I just sit back, relax, and wait for the flowers to come up. I hate being patient.

I have started reading a great book lately called E-Myth Mastery by Michael Gerber. It has made me question how many people I know, including myself, that are truly passionate about what we do. Are you? How many of us have passions locked inside that we never let out simply because of fear. "What would people say? What if I don't accomplish it? What if I lose my job?" My philosophy is that most people carry on a normal life, with little to show for it in the end. Who did we impact? How many people did we see changed? What cause did we champion? I personally can't stand the thought of leading a normal life. It scares me to death to think of doing things "the way they're supposed to be done." In fact, it makes me downright mad that we never question the way things are done, because what if it could be done better. What do you think?

"Given the right circumstances, from no more than dreams, determination, and the liberty to try, quite ordinary people consistently do extraordinary things." From Birth of the Chaordic Age, by Dee Hock

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

my question is, "what's normal?" i can't help but think that every single person is supposed to live an extraordinary life. i think it's NOT normal to desire the norm. ok, so i have been accused of holding too high of standards for people, but come on people--we can break the cycle! i work with people every day who have screwed up their lives beyond belief when they had so much potential. as creatures formed in God's image i think that we've all been endowed with tremendous capabilities for creativity. why don't more people use it? i'd keep writing, but this is your blog, jon. maybe i should start one.

Jon Mitchell said...

Interesting thoughts Ben. You do have pretty high standards. I guess my question is, what does an extraordinary life look like? How do you define it? I think people don't use the capablities they have been gifted with because they are fearful. Fearful of failure.

Anonymous said...

i think you hit the nail on the head with fear. guilty here. could it be that an extraordinary life is defined by courage?--to take a stand, to follow your dreams, to make a difference? to settle for the status quo of, above all else, a comfortable life seems to be what's accepted as "normal." could this be tied in to the spiritual challenge of being in the world but not of the world? maybe.

Jon Mitchell said...

Ben, you are surprising me. I like what you are saying. "An extraordinary life is defined by courage." That really resonates with me. However, I don't think the spritual challenge is being in the world but not of it, but maybe the lack of desire/motivation to do everything it takes to build intimacy with Jesus. There is a fear among most of us, including myself, to draw close to Him because of what it might mean we have to give up. Again, I think it goes back to fear.

YCN Jr. High Youth Ministry... said...

ya, i cannot be fearful with risk. that in reality, in order to engage in what God has called me to do, I must faitful obey. "Lord" Peter said, "If thats really you, call me out". And he walked on water. Fear crept back into his heart on that walk, only because he took his eyes off of the one who called him to risk that way. he had overcome his fear because he had allowed God's truth to be consuming him.

I want to be more than normal, more than just another day-to-day Christian. Your blog is a good reminder to me of how I go about about each day, showing my passion for Christ, living out my purpose, resting in His call, humbly seeking, faithfully obeying, and always trusting then in that what I do, I do for His glory and not my own.