Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Two Issues

There are two issues I want to address. One is the new iTunes 4.9 which comes with Podcasting capability. If you have not upgraded or are not using iTunes as your MP3 manager, stop what you are doing and download by going to www.apple.com.

Two quotes I have read this week in TIME that have bothered me. The first is from Tom Cruise who was criticizing Matt Lauer after the Today show host questioned Cruise's earlier disapproval of Brook Shields for taking antidepressants: "You don't know the history of psychiatry. I do." I understand Tommy boy is all into Scientology, but give me a break. My brother posted on his blog, "If I were the Head Scientist (or whoever their Pope figure is), I would have a frank convo with Cruise and let him know in no uncertain terms that he is not longer allowed to don the lab coat. In other words he is out. Put up the beakers and move on Tom. Anything redemptive that movement had going for it, Cruise has officially destroyed."

The second quote is from U.S. Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O'Connor. She said "Nothing is to prevent the State from replacing any Motel 6 with a Ritz-Carlton, any home with a shopping mall, or any farm with a factory." TIME says she made the comment "in a dissenting opinion in the 5-4 ruling that local governments may force property owners to make way for private development when officials decide it would benefit the public, even if the property is not blighted and the project's success not guaranteed." Wow! (Thank you for your service Sandra, it is sad to see you are retiring). I am all for progression, but this decision on property rights seems harsh and that there is no choice in the matter of government seizure. If the government wants your house, it's theirs. Obviously they will buy it from you, but without your say in the matter. I find this extremely difficult to swallow. This decision could be on the same level as abortion. What do you think?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

1) Tom Cruise needs to find a new hobby besides galavanting around the world making out with his fiance
2) Tom Cruise needs to get a grip on reality and treat others (i.e. Matt Lauer) like he's a human. Jon did you know he also said "there's no such thing as a chemical imbalance". He hasn't met the Woerners. Half of us are on meds for that.
3). The government. Nothing is actually ours, EVER.
4). Tom Cruise is really, really annoying these days. I don't think I ever want to watch one of his movies again.

-Ames

YCN Jr. High Youth Ministry... said...

I just find Tom to be annoying anymore. I hear his name on TV or read it and sigh before I even hear or read more because I know, its going to be pathetic. Can the guy make a come back with his image?

It scares me think that I could have my home/property taken from me at anytime. Whats funny is that this ruling means nothing to me, because I thought it already was a law as I have countless stories from the past 23 years of life that say they government has already been doing this. Ouch Uncle Sam, thats a dig on you!