Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Hawaii Five-O

Well, I'm back. I just experienced a week long trip to Hawaii. It is quite an amazing place, and I encourage you to place it on your top ten. The beaches are very nice and so are the people.

We were on a cruise boat called The Pride of Aloha which took us around to 4 of the islands in Hawaii. I don't know how many of you have been on a cruise boat before, but this one was a little different. I made a few observations about the service on the boat that I found rather interesting. A few times while in a buffet line about to fix my salad, they insisted on doing this for me. Question 1: Who wants to be in a buffet line and have someone fix their salad for them? Doesn't this defeat the point? They could never know how many cucumbers I want (3) or how much salad dressing to put on (1/4 cup) or that I like raisins on it. One time I was in the buffet line and they wanted to fix my hotdog for me. I ended up with more sauerkraut than hotdog. Every time I went to get a drink at the drink station, they wanted to fix that for me also. So if I fixed my own, they would stand right beside me and watch. Can you say awkward? I wrote the Captain and said that instead of the crew staring at me while I fixed my own drink, maybe they should walk around to the tables and get drink orders...kind of like a normal restaurant.


Anyways, the boat was pretty cool...like a hotel that floats. It was crazy to think that there were 3,000 people all living within 900 feet of each other. Good thing I have gotten over being a germ freak. More to come later.

2 comments:

Jason Mitchell said...

I could not live with that many people so close. I would freak!

Would you let someone wipe for you? One time I saw a guy walking around with both arms in cast, with braces holding them straight up in the air. The only thing I could think of, "who wipes for him?" And then, "That sucks."

Anonymous said...

haha Jason that is hilarious. sad, but hilarious. I would probably have thought the same thing...what I wanna know is, what happened to that poor guy to have both arms in casts?

anyways..glad you had fun, Jon. When I hit it rich in the stock market (if ever i can make real money-dern you successful paper trading) i'll be sure to go to hawaii.

and really- how awkward is it with them watching you get your own drink. i hate stuff like that.

ames