Wednesday, September 27, 2006

The Heart

Colossians 3:23-24 “Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving.”

Does this verse mean I am to suck it up and do any job or task with all my heart regardless of whether or not I really want to be doing it? I would hate to speculate the amount of times in my life that I have worked out of obligation and not out of my heart.

I would like to take a different angle with this verse. Lets imagine for a moment that God wants us to live from the heart (those of you who are John Eldredge fans know what I'm talking about). If we are to live from the heart, why do we bother with jobs and tasks that essentially prostitute our heart? In other words, why do we do things just to do them? Shouldn't we be selective in where we work and what job we perform? Should it not be a job or task that makes our heart come alive? Lets take it deeper. Should we volunteer for a role at church out of obligation or a sense of duty? Isn't that still prostituting our heart or do we get some kind of special star on our crown because we volunteered to help out on the finance committee? I know I have used strong language, but I would like to see some discussion on this matter.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think that we are all forced and required to "work out of obligation", but we should not spend more then 80% of what we do outside of our talents and gifts and our calling.