Friday, September 29, 2006

The Motivation

Colossians 3:23-24 “Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving.”

I recently had a classmate write "How much more motivation does anyone need?" in reference to the verse above. Unfortunately there are many times I need more motivation than heavenly rewards and the pure pleasure of doing good things. Can we be honest for a moment? Sometimes life sucks, and I don't want to do anything good for anyone but myself. Let's stay away from Sunday School answers and get real for a second. Do we really do good deeds in life because we want a jewel in a crown that we can't even accurately conceptualize? My guess is the average Christian uses this form of motivation once, maybe twice in a lifetime on earth.

I am really not trying to argue, but to cause us to get a little more real and honest. Lets remove our masks and discuss what are real motives usually are when we perform a task in the church, in our job, or in our efforts to evangelize.

4 comments:

Ames said...

Wow....i so needed to read that post. Really.

Ash Sinniger said...

yea everytime they go South i always spend the night...

chris horton said...

Let's be honest? You don't really believe that "once or twice in their life" line,do you? Going to hell is a much bigger motivator to do things from the heart,and being more like Jesus is another biggie!! I don't think of jewels or crowns or "an obligation", I do everything I do because I want to LOVE EVERYONE man,even when life sucks.I'm not gonna wait to receive it,I'm just gonna give it and live it!! Let God sort the rest. Peace.

Ames said...

so has nothing new happened in your life since september? have you learned nothing?? BLOG!!!!