Monday, December 19, 2005

Revolution (Part I)

I was recently told by a fellow classmate that her father, who is a Christian, doesn't go to church. She said, "He [my father] just doesn't want to go to the [church] "building" because of his previous dealings with "hypocrites." My grandfather was a preacher, and forced my father to go to church every Sunday - no matter what. So, between the forcing and the hypocrites, my father will not go back into a church at this time." My father was a pastor. I admit, there were times I was forced to go to church. I would imagine her father's experiences have caused him to have a bad taste in his mouth like many Christians who no longer go to a church building on Sunday's and Wednesday nights (and often every other night the church can get them to volunteer). George Barna just came out with a new book called Revolution that I encourage anyone to read before they get into the debate of "Church...or not?" I work with over 230 pastors a year in my job and I offered a copy to all of them. I am pretty passionate about the subject of spirituality in America. While many Christians believe and are looking for America's spiritual awakening, I believe it is already here. However, it is not the way we want it or predicted it. Many are turning to so many different forms of spirituality because they have become disenfranchised with one "system." Unfortunately, the church has often responded with an "us against them" mentality, which alienates them even more.

I recently heard a passage from the Message translation of the Bible that truly resonates with me, especially on this subject: Matthew 11:28-30 says, "Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me [Jesus]. Get away with me and you'll recover your life. I'll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me - watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won't lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you'll learn to live freely and lightly."

11 comments:

Jason Mitchell said...

Wow. Well said.

Ames said...

danget...i was going to comment with a "wow" but mini kinsey (aka jason) took the words from me.

sorry jase, i had throw in that you look like my mom in that picture just one last time. i'll stop now.

Rick said...

Jon,

You are one of the few I know that likes Keith Green. Do you play piano? Where in Trussville do you live? What do you do?

Jon Mitchell said...

Rick,

Yes, I play the piano, but I can't read music. I primarily play for myself, God, and my wife. I live in the Hidden Trace community of Trussville and direct the marketing and sales of a non-profit organization.

J.smith said...

hey man,

I listen to the message too. it is great... i love it. it is weird, but it is like jesus is speaking right to me.

I had a conversation with a bar tender a while ago who was burnt by the church in the denomination she grew up in. it was a good conversation.

Unknown said...

This has nothing to do with this post...but it does have to do with the other posts on Church Sunday Morning. Here is a link to the best response I have read to why do church Sunday Morning. I was just looking for your thoughts. Scroll down to the second post to read the relevant section. http://www.fccfranklin.com/blog.htm

Jon Mitchell said...

Luke,

Interesting and well thought out. So much so that I think I will go to church on the 25th...NOT. Question: Will Safe Harbor be gathering on Sunday?

Unknown said...

We have moved our Sunday service to Friday...are you coming? You never do...always say you will but never do...:(

YCN Jr. High Youth Ministry... said...

JONNY...

I have a book for you to read, by Reggie McNeal, called "The Present Future: Six Tough Questions for the Church."

I think the book is amazing and well the man has some great points, and great perspective. I love his desire to help himself, his friends and those who need to know the Lord

Jon Mitchell said...

Nick,

I read the book about 2 years ago. Our whole company did and then we sent it out to a lot of the pastors we work with. The book challenged me TREMENDOUSLY. After all of the employees of our company read the book we decided to hold a conference based around Reggie McNeal called Spring Training for the Heart (www.springtrainingfortheheart.com). We held it in April and it was phenomenal. We will be holding another conference with him during the Fall of 2006 at Lancaster County Bible Church in PA (lancastercountybiblechurch.com). Maybe you can come!?

Anonymous said...

I just passed in and read what you wrote. I've been in the same situation, not interested in going to "the building", but wanting to be a part of "church". I was a multi-day a week goer from birth until my 20s. I had some issues with a new pastoral staff at my church and many of us left. I am now actually visiting Catholic churches (I'm a Protestant) and have found that there are some things about their churches that resonate with me. Anyhow, well written and thank you.